Pastor: Fr. Paul MacNeil
This Sunday's Bulletin
This Sunday's Bulletin
I was appointed as pastor of Our Lady of the Scapular parish in November 2015 and I am delighted to be here. Before that, I was pastor of St. Ann's parish in Fenwick Ontario, a small but loving community about 30 minutes from here. I was born and raised in St. Catharines and ordained to the priesthood in 1999. Currently I am Chair of the Niagara Catholic District School Board and I'm working on my PhD in Religious Studies at McMaster University. As your pastor, my first priority is just to listen, to get to know you and understand the best way for me to serve you and to bring you closer to each other and to God through Christ.
St. Denis Roman Catholic Church
A Catholic Centre of Excellence
The Sacrament of Confirmation
Just as our bodies and minds grow, Catholics believe that our souls need to grow in the life of grace. The Sacrament of Confirmation is the supernatural equivalent of the growth process on the natural level. It builds on what was begun in Baptism and what was nourished in the Holy Eucharist. It completes the process of initiation into the Christian community, and it matures the soul for the work ahead.
The focus is on the Holy Spirit, who confirmed the apostles on Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4) and gave them courage to practice their faith. The same Holy Spirit confirms Catholics during the Sacrament of Confirmation and gives them the same gifts and fruits.
“The spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: a spirit of wisdom and of understanding, a spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and of fear of the Lord, and his delight shall be the fear of the Lord.” - Isaiah 11:2-3
If you are an adult who is seeking more information on how to become a member of the Catholic Church, please see The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). If you are a baptized Catholic who never received Confirmation, please call the parish office at 905-685-5911.
If your child is approaching eighth grade, or is a little older; we want to continue to assist you in raising your child in the faith and prepare them to make their faith their own. Below are some of the frequently asked questions to help you understand the process of having your child confirmed. If you have any further questions, please call the parish office at 905-685-5911.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is necessary for my child to receive Confirmation?
At a minimum, your child must:
• Be baptized in the Catholic Church, or have been received formally into the Catholic Church.
• If your child is older than eighth grade, we may require further catechesis. Each situation is different, please contact the parish office.
• Have received the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation should have taken place along with First Holy Communion. If your child has not received one or both of these sacraments, please call the parish office at 905-685-5911.
2. When does Confirmation take place?
For exact date and time, please ask see the information package provided to your child.
3. Who can be my child's sponsor?
Every person being confirmed must have a sponsor.
To be a sponsor, you must:
• Be a practicing Roman Catholic who attends Mass regularly (Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation) and is living according to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• Be fully initiated themselves, having received Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist.
• Be at least 16 years of age; be mature enough to undertake this responsibility and have the intention of fulfilling the role to the best of your ability.
• Live a life of faith which befits the role and inspire others by your personal witness and practice of the faith.